Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bitter-Sweet

07/20/11
Well, I got schooled again.  The plan for today was to go some 62 miles, over 3 hard climbs.  Lets just say, the second climb was closed due to new snow, so we didn't do that one.
We left our hotel and descended into the valley again and rode for about 6 miles to the start of the Alpe d'Huez.  We began the climb and it was much harder than I expected, right from the start.
Here's a shot from about 1/3 of the way up -  It's a tough climb.  Eight (8) miles, only up.  My goal was to get up the climb in one shot, and in less than an hour.  What a moron!  I ended up having to stop at just about every other turn.  (There's 22 of them, by the way.)  I decided to stop at the odd numbered turns.  21, 19, 17, etc.  (The turns are numbered from the bottom in a count down, as you go up. (?)  I was actually doing pretty well, but after about half way my lungs and legs began to argue with me.  I kept on, driven by the tourists who were already lined up along the climb, cheering me on.  The festival has already begun.  At one turn, where I planned to stop, a photographer was in the middle of the road snapping pictures.  I tried to get around her as she handed me a pamphlet of some kind.  In the confusion, she just about caused me to crash.  I was angry.  I threw the paper back at her and told her to keep it.  She hesitated as if to ask if I was OK, but then just walked away.  I rested for a while to get air back in my blood.  I nice man with a great Scottish accent stopped in his walk up the hill and asked if I needed a push to get started.  I said "No Thanks, what I really need is air."  "You need air?" he asked.  Then he laughed and continued his walk.  I eventually started out and passed him on the climb.  I continued to force my way further and further up the hill.  At one stop I had to use my inhaler for my asthma.  I'm not sure if it really helped, but it was something I had to try.  I was determined to finish this.  This is the premier climb in the Tour de France and I was rolling in the wheel marks of the great riders.  I had to finish this.  This climb is one of the main reasons I signed up to come on this trip.  When I made the turn at number one switchback, I knew I was close.  A few more minutes of hard pushing and I'd have it.  The trick is, there is a false summit.  When you get up into the Alpe d'Huez village you are not done.  The main street was packed with people milling about, shopping and eating.  A continuous line of bikers snaked there way through the mass of bodies trying not to hit anyone, or get hit and knocked over.  The rider in front of me and I both un-clipped one of our peddles to prepare for the inevitable knock over.  Some how we made it through the village and under a large banner proclaiming we had arrived.  But that was the secret.  The Alpe d'Huez climb goes on for about another kilometer, before you get to the "official" finish.  I met up with one of our tour members and we set out to find the sky.  Through a tunnel and up some more, through a "Round-about", or traffic circle and across a flat section.  A wonderful flat section.  Make a left turn and go up for 300 more meters and there is is.  Very unassuming, very low key. Just a signpost proclaiming the top, the official finish to the Alpe d'Huez climb.  The fancy banner for the finish had not been put up yet.  I found this polka dot banner and stood under it.  The polka dot jersey is the jersey of the best hill climber in the Tour de France.  I ended up with about an hour and a half fort he climb.  Not too bad, but somewhat humbling.
Anne spent the day doing some more things outside her comfort zone.  Her first adventure was to be Canyoning, but it was cancelled.  She went "Hot Dogging" instead.  I guess they put you in a small rubber boat with one other tourist, and someone who knows what they are doing.  Then they send you down a rapid river to get wet.  I have not seen her this after noon so I'm not sure how she did.  I'll add that to the next update.

2 comments:

  1. I better see you dressed up as a lobster tomorrow on the climb, right next to the devil! Just think how easy climbs in Maine will seem now...good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the hill...it's the altitude. It sounds like a great experience getting up that climb - the ghosts of the Tour are with you...and so is ghost girl!

    ReplyDelete